Monday, April 16, 2007

2 very good days

I missed an update yesterday and for that I apologize BUT I had a very good reason. I actually stayed home yesterday evening so Lisa and her mom could spend some time with the girls which should have allowed me to get to bed early because I went back to work 6am!!! Well it was a good idea in theory but it didn't work. I got to bed at 11 which is about the time they got home but I could not fall asleep until Lisa got in bed and we had our nightly debriefing. By the time she got in bed, we talked for an hour, and then I started to settle down, it was after 1am again. I should have just gone and been with the girls.

So tonight I did just that. Even though I had 4.5 hours of sleep last night, I figure I better get used to sleep deprivation now. Don't worry, I'll take care of myself but I gotta spend time with my girls. And you'll see why in a second.

So my awesome Aunt Jan reminded me that I haven't updated how Lisa's doing or what the girls weigh now.

Lisa is doing better each day. The first several days out of the hospital she had a very difficult time getting in and out of her Durango (no she's not driving) but now it's much easier for her. Her incision looks incredible. Every nurse that looked at it when she was in the hospital said "wow! that looks great!" I was expecting much worse and could not believe how amazing and fast it has healed.

She has been an incredible trooper through this whole thing. I have SO much love and respect for what she has gone through these last 7 months.

I sprained my foot today and was limping around at the hospital, wincing in pain every step, wining like a little baby. Realizing what a baby I was being about it, I jokingly said to Lisa, "this must be what labor feels like". I got a good laugh out of it.

As everybody surely knows, babies go through an initial weight loss after birth for a week or so before they start gaining weight again. Our girls both lost a couple of ounces but nothing major and were leveling out and gaining again by the third day.

They are weighed every night and tonight we were lucky enough to participate...meaning we stripped them down to a diaper and placed them gently on a scale. The whole time trying to hurry to minimize how much time they are away from body warmth, clothes, and blankets to keep their temperature up.

So their updated weights....

Alyssa Renee born at 3 lbs 4.5 ounces now weighs 3 pounds 14 ounces
Kaitlyn Marie born at 3 lbs 8 ounces now weighs 3 pounds 12.5 ounces

We talked to the developmental therapist today...from feeding to stress to head shaping and she seemed very enthusiastic about their progress. They are growing and developing at a perfect pace.

So here are a couple of fun pictures I took yesterday. We just finished with their feeding and Kangaroo Care and put them back in their "crib" and Katy started making the funniest faces. She was wide awake and looking around and having a good time. I decided to try and get some close up photos. They came out a little out of focus but they still crack me up. I'm going to try and get the good camera in and take some good quality shots tomorrow or the next day. Enjoy. By the way, Katy is on the left and Alyssa (who woke up a little) is on the right.

And this was tonight. The ladies are sporting their new foam donuts to help shape their head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The girls are BEAUTIFUL!!!!! (but i'm sure you knew that already) I'm glad to hear that they are doing well!
Take care,
Dominique :)