Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sunday night post

I decided a long time ago that I would try and post every Sunday night. I actually check how many hits the blog gets and I've noticed that there is a spike on Mondays. So to reward my faithful readers, I always make a little extra effort sometime on Sunday to give you something exciting to look at Monday morning when you get back to work. In addition, I think I'm going to change the picture at the top of the blog on my Sunday posts. I have SO many pictures that would look great cropped down to the banner size.

So the picture above is a rare photo of both noctilucent clouds and the aurora borealis. I took it in August of 2005 here in Anchorage looking north near Point Woronzof at about 1am.

The last couple of days I've been going through a lot of old pictures while we move all of our digital pics over to the new laptop. Yes, we got a new laptop. Our old one was almost 5 years old...that is ANCIENT in laptop years.

Anyway, so I've been going through a lot of old pictures and came across some great ones that we took on a bike ride back in September. I think I mentioned that we've taken over 500 pictures so far with our new camera. With that many pictures, it's easy to overlook a set of 10 or 15 like these even though they're great shots.

So it's been a very early winter this year so back in September, we were still amazed at how fast the snow line was coming down the mountains. It's always a nice contrast when you have the green and yellow leaves against the white snow topped mountains and blue sky.

We took the girls on the Bird to Gird trail. That's short for Bird Point to the town of Girdwood. It's a nice paved trail that's about 12 miles long. Not sure how far we made it but I'd guess about 3 miles or so. We'll tackle the whole trail next summer. This is us getting the girls in the trailer at Bird Point.
The famous Alaska Railroad down to Seward follows the same route...you can see the tracks below. The first hill took us nice and high so we had a great view of Turnagain Arm.

Some more nice fall colors. The one to the top is looking right at Turnagain Arm...the one below is looking left up the side of the mountain.
The girls REALLY enjoyed the view.

I found some more pictures of the girls sharing their little bench toy.



Hope this helps cure your case of the "Mundays".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yup, that did it. Now I'm smiling..and chasing kittens instead of just chasing! Dad and I can't wait for the video tonight!
Love, Mom