Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Vice Presidential Candidate Sarah Palin

Now wait a second...I hate politics. Yeah, I said it. I don't follow politics one bit. Are you sitting down because this may shock you, I've never voted. I know, I know. How can I call myself an American and never cast one vote?? I live by the motto...if you don't vote, then you can't complain. I just don't complain. I mock...but I don't complain.

So why is the title of this post "Vice Presidental Candidate Sarah Palin"? Well, if you live under a rock you might not have heard that she is the governor of the fine state that we live in. Just like the rest of the country, we have been following the campaigns leading up to the conventions. We did catch Obama's speech last week but were awaiting to hear the announcement of who was going to be McCain's running mate.

Imagine our surprise when we discovered that morning that our Governor has been announced as the VP candidate. WHAT!?!?! We could not believe it. We were, and still are, in a bit of shock that our governor is in the national spotlight. I should say...she IS the national spotlight. We've watched the local news cover her the last 2 years and have been amazed.

We were impressed by her the last 2 years but she won us over when we saw her at the Walk for Babies back in May. What Lisa and I were just talking about...it is truely amazing that she came out that day to support this fundraising event. Think of all the duties the governor has...and she made time to come out on a Saturday morning (one month after giving birth to her own baby) and not only give a speech, but to walk among the parents of and the kids with as she put it "special needs".

That day showed the human side of a 'politician' that I've never seen before. She walked for a while with everyone and eventually stopped so that she could talk with anyone and everyone that wanted to. We couldn't believe her kindness and willingness to outreach to everyone that wanted a word with her. Amazing woman.

Sadly, we did not stop and talk with her. :( We took some pictures as she talked with other mothers. I was ready to push on with the walk while Lisa wanted to stay and talk with Sarah. I regret fully...well kinda...that we kept walking and Lisa wasn't too happy about it. She's REALLY not happy now about that!

We are ecstatic though to see her in the national spotlight. She is 100% real and it's refreshing to see someone in Washington recognize her traits as not only a leader but as a person. While we've never actually met her, we feel like we know her and it's exciting to see the rest of the country get to know her too.

I don't want to get into the politics of this election but from these Alaskans...we fully support Sarah Palin in her quest to become the next Vice President.

...but then again if she doesn't win, she'll come back home to us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been wondering if you'd weigh in on this! Even though I'm a regular voter, politics have mostly just annoyed me. Most especially career politicians. I was set to vote for McCain (we're small business owners), but I wasn't necessarily excited about that....until last week when Mrs. Palin was announced right here in my hometown. I could not have been more happy or surprised....and now I'm happy to hear how well she is liked in her home state. LOVE the pictures of her at the MODimes walk.....and Lisa, it sounds like you have a bargaining chip now....."Andy, remember that time you wouldn't let me talk to Sarah Palin?......" :)

Laure in OH

Anonymous said...

It's a shame you're not more involved. Too many folks in this country aren't and if we're not careful we may soon not have the right to participate or voice our opinions on taxes, health care, security, - remember our children will inherit this great nation one day!