Saturday, June 02, 2007

SHENANIGANS!!!!!

Well the good news is that our girls are becoming more and more awake...but it seems to be between 10pm and 2am. That is their time. It's becoming like clock work. We just know that when we feed them around 10ish, they WILL be awake until their next feeding.

Last night, we had floor time and held them...read some books. It was a busy 3 hours. At 1am, they finally seemed to be slowing down so we wrapped them up and placed them in the crib. We quickly tried to get into bed knowing that they wouldn't sleep long. 12 minutes. I looked at the clock and actually started to fall asleep and then the cries began. 12 minutes.

So I got up to see who it was and if it was a hunger cry, gas cry, or something else. It was very apparent that it was a hunger cry and before I could tell Lisa who it was and that we were going to have to get up, the other one started crying too. It was a first. They are almost 2 months old and it was the first time there was simultaneous crying. All we could do was laugh. It was quite the scene.

After a change of diapers and bottles, it was back to bed around 3:15am. They let us sleep until 8am so not too bad. Lisa and I both took late morning naps so we each got around 6 or 7 hours of sleep total. I would think that should be considered pretty good. I'm sure there will be nights/days where we can't catch up with naps and we just have to manage.

What I'm learning is it's not the lack of sleep that affects me the most. It's knowing that I won't be able to catch up tonight or the next day...or the next day. It is only going to get harder when we don't have help and when I go back to work.

Right now, it's 12:45am and Lisa just put them both down to go to sleep. I think it is going to be a near identical night. This should be fun.

I just re-read what I wrote and it may come across like I'm complaining. Not at all. It's just the day to day stories of what our life is now that we have two little angels.

If I'm being honest though, I can't wait until they start interacting with us. It's cute now of course but it will be so great when I can make them smile and giggle and all that fun stuff. I think we are still another 6-8 weeks away from that.

Lisa's just about done pumping and I still need to make the bottles up for the next feeding (which probably won't be too far away). I leave you with a picture of Lisa nursing Katy. How do I know it's Katy? If you click on the pic you can actually see her little strawberry on the back of her head that I've been talking about.

1 comment:

Kara said...

I definitely didn't find you complaining on your blog. Like you said, it is your life and it is great!!!

But to let you in on a little secret, you actually can catch up on sleep....once they both start sleeping through the night. It doesn't mean that you don't worry and that you don't get up to check on them, but you do get sleep :)