Sunday, June 17, 2007

Land of the Midnight Sun....

....and sleepy parents.

No, actually we're doing better. The girls are still trying to figure out this new routine but it's going okay. They've actually let us sleep in a little bit the last couple of nights but after talking about it this morning, we're thinking it's too much so we're going to have to set an alarm for 5 or 6am to make sure they don't go too long without eating again.

Alyssa had me up until 3:45am last night. It's been a busy day but managed a couple of cat naps so I survived. I can't lie, I'm worried about going back to work Monday. That is going to be a major adjustment.

I wanted to share a couple of photos real quick before I hop in bed. First, it's getting close to the summer solstice. This will be my third summer in Alaska and it amazes me every time. For those of you who haven't experienced it, it's not like some people describe it...6 months of light and 6 months of dark. NO! If that's what you think, you're WRONG!!! Just like the lower 48, it's a gradual change from short days over the winter to long days in the summer. It does stay "light" during the night, but it's not like the sun is up all night long. The sun sets around 11:40pm and rises at 4:20am. Impressive but not like Barrow or anything. The time between the sunset and sunrise, the sun just skirts along below the horizon so we get that dusk feel during the night.

I'm probably over explaining this but you'd be surprised how many people have asked me what it's like to have 6 months of light and 6 months of dark...like a switch is turned off and on. Anyway, here's Madison lying down tonight by our balcony screen door. It was the hottest day of the year today at 72 degrees. Again, no air conditioner so we have to get a breeze going through the house. These two pictures were taken at midnight tonight to give you feel for how light it is.



Now for a funny story. I downloaded almost 60 pictures tonight that I've been putting off doing for a while and found these gems. Lisa and I laughed about this for a while. A couple of weeks ago, we had a real long night where the girls kept us up past 3am or so and were up again at 5ish. I remember that night very well because it was one of the first times I was not enjoying being up so early and being so tired. I wasn't as chipper as I usually was and was just having a hard time all the way around.

To top it off, when I changed Katy she peed over everything. I was in the middle of the diaper change and she hosed everything down. I had to do a full wardrobe change at 6am! I was really frustrated but stripped her down to her diaper and was getting a new onesie when I turned around and saw this. Just minutes earlier, she was screaming but after I got her stripped down and gave her the pacifier, she settled down and even gave me a nice pose.

So that helped. Obviously, I took the time to find the camera and snap the photo so I know I was feeling better. Then, I was struggling to get her onesie over her head when I looked down and saw this face. It cracked me up. She was being so patient with me even though she was starving. I grabbed the camera again and snapped this gem. It was a priceless moment.

"Take me to your leader"
I may have to make that my background on my computer. It is too cute.

Anyway, I wanted to take the time to say happy father's day to all the dads out there that read this. It is my first father's day but it only makes me want to recognize the other fathers for all the hard work they put in to taking care of their families.

To my dad, I can't say enough. You are my inspiration. You are the reason I am the man I am today. Thank you Dad.

To my brother. I never thought you would be a source of inspiration in this department. You have proved yourself to be a phenomenal father. Austin and your unborn kiddo are lucky to have a dad like you.

To my bro-n-law. Again, never thought I would look up the guy that my sister married but that's exactly what happened. Tom, you are amazing.

To my father-n-law. You have raised an angel. I hope my angels turn out to be as perfect as their mom and that's a tribute to you. Thank you.

To the other fathers...Pappaw, Uncle Cary, Cory......have a great day today. We'll be thinking about you today. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Kara said...

Your stories crack me up. Great pics too. I am amazed how light it is for midnight. Must be a sight to see!!!

Happy Father's Day to you!!! I only know you from reading your blog and the TTTS board, but you seem to be a great Father. Your girls are blessed!!!

Anonymous said...

Andy,

Happy Father's Day! I love the onesie pic of Katy--priceless!

Amy

LAURIE IN OH said...

This is such a great blog. It's such a bright spot in my day when I stop by! Your twins are so beautiful....my 3 year old is cracking up at the onesie picture. So cute.

Happy Fathers Day a bit late....I hope it was wonderful and you were spoiled with love from the ladies in your life.

Amazing, the pictures of Alaska late at night! I had no idea. Someday I want to visit your state, and I've made a mental note to make the trip at THIS time of the year.

I hope your first day back at work went well and that you didn't fall asleep at your desk.

Laurie in OH